Saratoga Homestead Sanitorium
The Saratoga Homestead Sanitorium once housed patients who were ravaged with the then epidemic tuberculosis. In 1909 it was ordered by the state legislator that every county build a TB hospital because it was so common at that time. The original Saratoga Homestead was built and opened in December 1914, which would later be replaced in 1932 by the brick building that still stands at that site.
While the property once held many buildings, the only buildings left standing today are the hospital building and the caretaker’s house that sits just beside the building. It is believed that approximately 3,000 deaths occurred at the sanitorium.
After closure of the building as a TB hospital in the early 1960’s the building was re-opened as a nursing home until it’s final closure. The property was recently purchased by a man from Texas who hopes to restore the building and the property.
Interesting fact: The sanitorium is rumored to be haunted and was the subject of the 2018 film The Expedition, which was created by a group of five filmmakers who were investigating the these rumors. It is said that one of the team members, Tom, went missing while filming the movie, however, his existence has yet to be proven.
The Hospital Building
The Caretaker’s House
The caretaker’s house sits next door to the hospital building and once housed the physicians that cared for patients. The home was occupied up until recently and was only abandoned within the last ten years.